Welcome to the PatchBoard Forum for Patches + Boards! 😀
Latest News / Feeds:
- Fri, 18 Aug 2017 08:01:06 +0000: “God has no religion”*… - Tips – Websites
Your correspondent is off for his annual sojourn in the land of dunes and deep-fried food (this year, with a glimpse of the eclipse); regular service should resume on or around August 28. Meantime… Not since the angel Gabriel visited Muhammad in a cave around 610 AD, informing him that he is God’s prophet, has […]
- Thu, 17 Aug 2017 22:22:59 +0000: What We Don’t Intend to Reveal Can be More Revealing - Tips – Support
Like many photographers before him, Richard Zaltman was visiting remote areas of the world to capture images of people living lives far removed from those in the United States. Here’s what made his experience different. One morning, while walking through an isolated village in Bhutan, he suddenly got the idea of turning his camera over to the locals to see what they would consider significant enough to show others about themselves. Later, when he looked at all their pictures, he noticed that most of the photos cut off people’s feet. “At first, I thought the villagers had just aimed wrong,”…
- Thu, 17 Aug 2017 08:01:01 +0000: “The truth is far more frightening – nobody is in control”*… - Tips – Websites
It’s the conspiracy theory to dwarf all conspiracy theories. A smorgasbord of every other intrigue under the sun, the Illuminati are the supposed overlords controlling the world’s affairs, operating secretly as they seek to establish a New World Order. But this far-fetched paranoia all started with a playful work of fiction in the 1960s. […]
- Wed, 16 Aug 2017 16:20:08 +0000: Podcast 13O: Seven Myths of Happiness. - Tips – Shopping
Note to Readers and Listeners: I wanted to let you know that Elizabeth and I recorded this episode before the shocking and despicable events in Charlottesville, Virginia, of August 12, 2017, and following. That’s why we don’t mention it. If you’d like to hear some discussion, check out this Facebook Live video from August 15.
Such events are a reminder that all of us, in our own lives, must strive in our own actions and words to live up to the highest ideals of our country. What does it mean to be a citizen of the United States?
In recent days, I’ve been thinking a lot about the wartime speeches of Winston Churchill, and also about the “America feeling” I get, for instance, from this scene from the Rodgers and Hammerstein 1943 musical Oklahoma! If you’d like to hear me describe it, listen here.
And now — the show notes.
Update: I’m excited because my new book, The Four Tendencies, hits the shelves in just 27 days.
To thank readers who pre-order, I worked with a terrific production team to create a series of videos about the Four Tendencies. After the book goes on sale, I’ll charge for ...
- Wed, 16 Aug 2017 08:01:40 +0000: “The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss”*… - Tips – Websites
The oldest gliding mammals ever discovered are strengthening the case for taking to the skies. Well, they couldn’t exactly soar like the eagles, but the two new species, discovered in China, at least sampled the aerial life. Both date to around 160 million years ago during the Jurassic Period, when mammals as a lineage […]
- Tue, 15 Aug 2017 08:01:17 +0000: “He was a bold man that first ate an oyster”*… - Tips – Websites
In a change from chocolates and fizzy drinks, the French are starting to offer fresh oysters from vending machines in the hope of selling more of the delicacy outside business hours. One pioneer is Tony Berthelot, an oyster farmer whose automatic dispenser of live oysters on the Ile de Re island off France’s western […]
- Mon, 14 Aug 2017 08:01:17 +0000: “The Agee woman told us for three quarters of an hour how she came to write her beastly book, when a simple apology was all that was required”*… - Tips – Websites
Since 1982, the English Department at San Jose State University has sponsored the Bulwer-Lytton Fiction Contest, a whimsical literary competition that challenges entrants to compose the opening sentence to the worst of all possible novels… The winner of the thirty-fifth Lyttoniad is Kat Russo from picturesque Loveland, Colorado. Kat describes herself as having twenty-six […]
- Sun, 13 Aug 2017 08:01:30 +0000: “Libertarians sometimes prove that a foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, and that there is a difference between logic and wisdom”*… - Tips – Websites
For the last few years, Von Ormy has been in near-constant turmoil over basic issues of governance: what form of municipal government to adopt, whether to tax its residents, and how to pay for services such as sewer, police, firefighters and animal control. Along the way, three City Council members were arrested for allegedly […]
- Sat, 12 Aug 2017 21:44:22 +0000: Reach Prospective Clients on Their Turf - Tips – Support
“Recognize the Often Hidden Signs of a Heart Attack” is the 30-minute briefing that attracts the biggest attendance when a cardiologist speaks at nearby retirement homes. Fear often drives people to attend so the title gets them in the door. As well: • Briefing, the professional sounding characterization used to promote the session, attracted more attendees than when it was promoted as a “seminar.” (It pays to tinker with your title.) • In advance craft vividly specific and complimentary ways you and your = • Allow time for questions from attendees so you can increase your awareness of what most…
- Sat, 12 Aug 2017 08:01:27 +0000: “Propaganda does not deceive people; it merely helps them to deceive themselves”*… - Tips – Websites
Produced at the height of the Cold War , and made at the behest of the American Petroleum Institute (still the biggest lobby for the U.S. oil and gas industry), this great little promotional film from John Sutherland Studios [producer of other such gems as “Rhapsody of Steel,” “A is for Atom,” and “Wise […]